Peter Andrews: bushman, farmer, horse trainer. Some consider him to be more than that. Many believe him to be a prophet of hope. Tarwyn Park, a horse stud that had once bred the famous Melbourne Cup winner Rain Lover, was dry, barren, salty and eroded. Now, it is always green, with water through the summer and frost tolerant in winter. Fertilizers and chemicals are not used, yet the soil is richer. Salinity has decreased and erosion stabilized. Fish are returning to the creeks. Using observation, logic, intuition and ’smart’ work, Peter Andrews has regenerated and saved Tarwyn Park, but while the land is healing,
It was at great personal cost
It was done after 30 years of battling neighbours, banks, bureaucracy, politicians, bankruptcy and even those closest to him. It was achieved by flying in the face of conventional wisdom. With a belief in himself and what is right; by not lying down and admitting defeat, he has embarrassed many of the experts who were unwilling to listen, learn or even consider change. At last, Peter Andrews, Tarwyn Park and Natural Sequence Farming are getting deserved recognition. But, there is a debt of gratitude not yet realized, so let it be said to Peter Andrews:
No doubt, Peter Andrews will go down in history as a great man. This web site acknowledges him as a truly great Australian. Also, this web site is dedicated to several purposes: being a links resource for people who would like to learn more and to look at also improving their land. But possibly the most important lesson that Peter Andrews has demonstrated is that it IS possible to triumph against the odds, that we all should remember:
One person can make a difference!
WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT PETER ANDREWS
If you go to the properties where Peter Andrews has been working, those
properties from the air are green. The neighbouring property is brown.
PROF. DAVID MITCHELL, WATER ECOLOGIST
I think it’s the most significant contribution to landscape restoration that I’ve seen in Australia.
PROF. DAVID GOLDNEY, LANDSCAPE ECOLOGIST
It’s resulted in a river recovery to our knowledge unprecedented in Australia.
PROF. RICHARD BUSH, HEAD ‘BARAMUL’ SCIENTIFIC TEAM
I’ll back him til the day I die. I know that what he’s doing makes a lot of sense.
I’ve witnessed it for years.
GERRY HARVEY, RETAILER & STUD OWNER
TARWYN PARK.COM – WEBSITE INFORMATION
- First, visit the pages and view the programmes that started it all: “Droughts and Flooding Rain” (part 1 & 2) & and the follow-up programme “Right as Rain” (part 1 & 2): at the ABC TV page
- For more about Peter Andrews and Natural Sequence Farming visit: the Video Gallery
- For articles and links about Peter Andews and Natural Sequence Farming visit: Peter Andrews & NSF
- For information about other resources including the Natural Sequence Farming DVD and the 2 books published by Peter Andrews about the Australian landscape and Natural Sequence Farming visit: Resources
- Visit the other pages for Links (including a link exchange program), NSW Parliament Report of Proceedings, Contact and About this website.